The Legacy of Positive Alternative Radio
There’s an incredible story and an inspirational heritage to PAR.
Be inspired through watching the Legacy of PAR
The legacy of PAR begins with one couple’s dream and a passion to see it fulfilled. The late Dr. Vernon H. Baker and his wife, Virginia built and operated the very first radio station in Christiansburg, Virginia in 1957. Cashing their first Social Security checks for funds, they founded Positive Alternative Radio in 1985 in an effort to establish non-commercial educational radio stations and to give back to the communities who supported their businesses.
God has blessed PAR’s humble beginnings and now operates listener-supported Christian radio stations in Virginia, Eastern Tennessee, West Virginia, Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina and Kentucky. PAR headquarters are located in Blacksburg, VA, where the couple’s son, Eddie, serves as President.
The mission of PAR is: We will change the world by creating and delivering experiences that inspire people to live passionately for Jesus Christ.. PAR stations are plugged into their respective communities and engaged with local ministries. By partnering with neighboring non-profits and providing valuable airtime and promotion, PAR strives to leverage impact for Christ in today’s world, on and off the air. The legacy of the Bakers continues.
Positive Alternative Radio, Inc.
P.O. Box 889
Blacksburg, VA 24063