The Legacy of PAR, Inc.
The legacy of PAR, Inc. began with one couple’s dream and a passion to see it fulfilled. The late Dr. Vernon H. Baker and his wife, Virginia built and operated the very first radio station in Christiansburg, Virginia in 1957. They founded Positive Alternative Radio in 1985 in an effort to establish non-commercial educational radio stations and to give back to the communities who supported their businesses.
God has blessed PAR’s humble beginnings and now operates listener-supported Christian radio stations in Virginia, Eastern Tennessee, West Virginia, Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina and Kentucky.
PAR headquarters and accounting offices are located in Blacksburg, VA, where Mrs. Virginia Baker still comes to work every day. 94 years young, this Christian radio pioneer serves as the PAR treasurer.
The mission of PAR is to create experiences that inspire people to live more passionately for Jesus Christ.
PAR stations are plugged into their respective communities and enganged with local ministries. By partnering with neighboring non-profits and providing valuable airtime and promotion, PAR strives to leverage impact for Christ in today’s world, on and off the air.
The legacy of the Bakers continues.